PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no royals in fast jets?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 22:56
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rotor blades a foot or two away from the granite
Detachment to Singapore - met friend from JP training, now helicopter pilot, one of the big ones (Wessex or Whirlwind - I'm not an aircraft enthusiast so not sure which). Said colleague offers me trip in angry palm tree - Bas being 20-something is too stupid to demur.
Ex colleague flies Bas across to Malaya and demonstrates landing on hillside clearing half size of devilish machine. Tail rotor, which I believe to be essential for sustained controlled flight, must be 5cm from trees; Bas enthuses and suggests celebrate back at mess ASAP.
En route back hear "Mayday!" on radio. Think it's one of the Shacks lost yet another engine but NO! It's one of similar hellish works with jammed cyclic (I think that's what it's called) in spiral dive. Guy finally overpowers hydraulics as Satan's windmill is leaving wake in water. Pilot last seen in OM bar demolishing bottle of something which weren't soda water.

Bit of tongue in cheek above. My airline experience has been that ex helicopter pilots have, as we say, 'a good pair of hands'.
I wish I'd flown them in any of the services.