PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 747 Dubai Final Report
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 19:16
Willit Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the two 747 fire accidents; a lot has been learned and contemplated about. We now regularly do drills in the sim, from a regular cruising flight level, to see how well and fast we can don the masks and goggles; one person runs as much of the checklist as he can whilst the other trys his best to get the ship on a runway in good enough shape to walk away, within 12 minutes!!!
In this scenario, the plane is likely to burn up anyway, so saving ones arse is the main focus here.
The industry learned that we must keep one pack on, preferably, pack one, if thats deferred, pack three must be on; to make sure the smoke evacuation system works as designed.

The thought of ditching a 747 for a fire is something I hope no one ever has to do. It scares the beejeebies out of me just thinking about it.
Our company has installed EVAS systems as well, but we have received no training yet to use them.

I wish we could have some specially made battery ULD's that would make surviving one of these fires a little more assured.

From our HAZMAT guru, supposedly, there have been no cases of properly tested lithium ion batteries causing problems. Only non-tested batteries. (Except for maybe that 787 issue).

Luckily for us, we always have a ride-on mechanic and usualy several deadheaders who could help.

These two guys didn't have a chance. From the point of the first fire alarm to being unable to see, was like 3 minutes! Im amazed they did as well as they did. they had everything against them.