PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 747 Dubai Final Report
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 14:42
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only read the summary on AvHerald, but it did surprise me to read that generally, no sim training is done with pilots in a smoke-filled environment. This is a standard training item for cabin crew, why not pilots?? Or are their operators who do such training?

I too hope they go after the shippers who falsified the decs (because that's what it is). I used to ship and accept freight, one of my jobs was to inspect the parcels and some of the items that were other than described was crazy. And in most cases all because the shipper thought fees or customs charges would be less

As for parachuting, it was successfully done on a study in the US where they crashed a 727 on autopilot- however, just like DB Cooper, they used the stairs. Doubtful it could be done normally unless modified like the A350 another poster mentioned. I recall something about Air Force One having (or previously having) this ability but not sure if I am getting confused with the escape pod/hatch which is not designed for parachute egress...

Lithium battery fires have always been covered in FA training, however since UPS some airlines have installed containment equipment onboard. I trained with this within the last 3 months and hope I never have to use the bloody thing for real!

Last edited by givemewings; 25th Jul 2013 at 14:56.