PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contracting legislation, USA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 13:16
KristianNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello galaxy flyer,

Of course you're right. The system in play in Europe today is a result of a liberalization of legislation. What I don't understand, on the other hand, is how Europe ended up with this system whereas the US hasn't. I am guessing there is a legislative reason for this, because if not, US carriers are going to have a real tough time competing against the likes of Norwegian Long Haul (NLH).
If the US has survived because there hasn't been any real competition from low cost long haul carriers from Europe, then the US future may be tough. Then "fairly liberal employment laws" won't cut it, because pilots and cabin crews in these types of operations have absolutely no formal employment rights. They are extremely "cost effective".
NLH's model runs on pilots without any unionized rights whatsoever. The cabin crew is the same. As of now they employ thai CC for flights "connecting" in Oslo, Norway, but in reality they've switched Norwegian CC's with thai. If they can they will use this model in the US also. How can then unionized carriers compete? That's why I hope you guys have legislative barriers when it comes to these types of organizations.

Last edited by KristianNorway; 25th Jul 2013 at 13:18.