PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no royals in fast jets?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 12:39
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F4TCT

For what it's worth I spent 10 years in the RAF and wasn't good enough to fly fast jets and my destiny was multi-engine and subsequently ATC but that's another story.....

As for your prejudiced attitude about members of the Royal Family in the Armed Services I can only say that my impression of HRH Prince Andrew as a pilot in the FAA is a very positive one.

1. After the Falklands War (when he was a Sea King co-pilot, principally flying anti-submarine missions) he trained as a Lynx pilot and was embarked on HMS Broadsword. Early 1985 he had an engine failure whilst flying near Stanley and made a single-engine precautionary landing which he and single crewman dealt with very successfully. (The naval Lynx is multi-role and is flown by a single pilot.)

2. After an engine change in-situ he flew it out and back to his ship.

3. A few days later a spare engine was flown in to Stanley by Hercules (to replace the one that had been used) and this was prepared as an under-slung load to be flown out to Broadsword. By the time this was ready to go it was getting dark and the wind in the FI's is seldom light and the sea state seldom calm. This didn't stop HRH again flying in to collect said load and taking it back to mother.

To me that all takes a fair amount of skill, and for which I am prepared to respect his ability as a pilot and one who then was perhaps just 25 years old. He was responsible for a valuable aircraft, his crewman and operating in a very un-forgiving environment.

Only a small percentage of people can claim to have the potential aptitude to be a military pilot, the training is tough, it lasts for up to three years and many fail along the way......HRH's Andrew, William and Harry all should be treated with greater respect and perversely, in many ways their background makes it tougher to succeed than for "ordinary" trainees, as they are all in the spotlight and everyone is expecting them to screw-up.

As J F Kennedy said

For of those to whom much is given, much is required......

MB