PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 10:01
topdrop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we had operational control, ATC was repsonsible for passing operational info to pilots. With the demise of ops control, the responsibility for passing this info went to the company. However, as I previously posted, ATC pass hazardous wx/amended forecasts etc if you are within 1 hour of the situation at the time the amendment is received by ATC (per AIP)
Also AIP 3.3-5 para 2.5.2 says "When providing FIS, ATC will not alert pilots to the availability of aerodrome weather reports that are available from an automatic broadcast service."
Mildura AWIS is available on 113.7 -includes vis cloud temp dewpoint.
Adelaide avbl from numerous AERIS sites including Mt Canobolas and Broken Hill (suitable for both these flights)
From ERSA, flights within 90NM of primary control zone are catered for by ATIS.
The AMD TAF Adelaide and first TTF forecasting fog were both issued over an hour prior to ETA.
By the time the first Mildura SPECI was issued, it looks to me that they were probably committed to Mildura and the amended TAF was way too late.
I don't know what info ATC provided to the pilots or when. Just a response to those critical of our current procedures - not saying they won't change as a result of the final report.