PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF VC10 - Great Memories
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 09:07
NutLoose

Received 2,934 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Another interesting working practice in those days that either went well or you got incredibly wet was to change a water drain valve on a tank that was full of fuel. It called for slick arm movement and accurate insertion skills. It was either or
We had a guy on shift ( DG) changed a booster pump on two tank I think whilst standing on an A frame steps, he closed off the isolation valve, got as little fuel out of the drain so undid the screws to drop the pump (Tank was full) three of us Sooties had gone out to do it and he had volunteered to put on the rubber suit and do it...
Anyway I digress, he pulls the last screw out and the pump drops down, luckily he catches it before it came out too far and is instantly coned in a high pressure Avtur shower of some force... push it back in we all shout.....
I can't, and I can't hold it ...help....heeeelp... comes the reply... thoughts of getting wet flash through our minds and in unison we all shout PUSH..

Gawd knows how he did it as the tank was full, but he got the pump back up in the hole while one of us rushed in picked up the dropped tools and screws and managed to screw it back home... needless to say attempt 2 involved a defuel

Last edited by NutLoose; 25th Jul 2013 at 09:08.