PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Old 25th Jul 2013, 08:48
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So this guy was in 2007 in charge of training at airbus. How come the standards are so low than? No criticism intended. It is more about the low standard of airbus training and why is it so bad, while everybody talks about improvement.
There must be some other forces behind the scene in place. Like economy or unvillingness to risk your neck to improve something.
Well, I used to know this guy, because we used to fly in the same Glider Flying club in Belgium and later in Sabena. I haven't seen him in over 12 yrs now.

In Sabena (and thus in Belgium), there was always a lot of emphasis in manual flying skills. After the Sabena bankruptcy al lot of trainers were hired by Airbus or got involved in all other Airlines in Belgium, all bringing with them their love and understanding of the importance of basic flying even in the most modern aircraft. Now, if you're asking me why Airbus hasn't already started emphasing on basic flying in their own training centers? Well, I don't know, but I guess that commercial pressure from within and from customers is tough to fight. I'm pretty sure Drappier and the other Belgians tried to put more emphasis on basic flying the minute they joined airbus. (Read this article published in 2009)

I also think that over reliance on automation did not start with Airbus. I believe it started with EFIS and both Airbus and Boeing but also most airlines are to be blamed. All the 777 operators I heard of, strongly discourage their pilots to switch off the A/thr and manipulate the levers themselves. I can only hope that operators will start to realise that allowing their crew to maintain their basic flying skills (No A/P, F/D or A/thr) is essential!