PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF VC10 - Great Memories
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2013, 04:52
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
My abiding memory of the VC10 was the first flight in the beast as an apprentice when we had a day out to Brize.

We had a nice briefing from a u/t Loadmistress who, bless her, stressed that if we felt unwell, this was understandable and could we please use the bags provided....we take off, head towards S.Wales, then return to Brize.

The crew were very amiable and tried to get as many of us in the cockpit as possible to watch the proceedings which was appreciated by most of us..

On our return we alternated between a series of controlled thuds into the Brize runway, about ten I seem to recall, and another six overshoots.

At some point during the thuds, there came a gentle sound from the front....and 30 apprentice heads turned to see, and hear, the Loadie performing as the smilie suggests......the collective..."aaaaaaaawh" ...and subsequent clapping and cheering probably did little to improve her morale....not helped by the other Loadie asking, in a rather loud voice, if the bag was full yet and would she like another?.