PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islay Airport Open Day 2013:
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2013, 19:35
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And PB, you are absolutely correct in your assessment of the current position. Beautiful scenery, beautiful airfields, ruined in part by petty bureaucrats, crazy opening hours, crazy local PPR, and no understanding of GA flying.

It is a shame, and it effects all local based pilots also. As regards the HIAL indemnity, why? We are all insured for our aircraft, or should be, so why be asked to pay more?

Inverness, by the way, has to be one of the best. We landed in my friends Commander, two of us, full PPR/Flight plans et al, to be met, as we went to go to the terminal for a coffee, by security, who asked for ID. Photographic ID. I, by chance, had a flying club card, with my photo. Your ok says security. The owner, who is coloured, had none. You can go out, he says, but you cannot get back in, states security. We commence pleading, but no. If he sets one foot off airside, he would not get back. I traipse round to the terminal, to get an extortionate coffe, couple of sandwiches, which I carry back airside to the plane. I am monitored all the way by security, and we sat forelornly in the aircraft eating our sandwich, and drinking our coffee. We then depart, having had one of the most miserable flying visits I can ever remember.

That's HIAL Inverness, for you. Having said that, Kirkwall were the opposite, could not have been more welcoming