PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety questioned at Hong Kong Airlines?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2013, 16:04
Call Me Ishmael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a currently serving HKA A330 Captain.
Before I joined HKA I spent 33 years working at a European National Carrier, an airline in the "Top Ten Safest Airlines" in the world - at a spot well above CX (which just scrapes in at #10).
My previous company has an international reputation for high standards and safety.
I have 16,500hrs total time, of which 4,500hrs is A330 LHS time. I have far more experience on the A330 than Mr.Allan, who was a newbie on the type.
My total P1 time is over 10,000hrs.
I was an instructor at my previous company.
I have never been involved in an accident. I have never failed a Check.

Allan described the standard of pilots at the airline as "minimal". "There are some good pilots, but there is an overwhelming number of very average to below average pilots and that was reflected in their failure rate," he said. "When I resigned I said to the director of flight ops, 'I'm sorry but I cannot stay with this airline because I am being associated with a standard that is below industry levels'.
I believe the above quote by Mr.Allan to be defamatory. By making this absurdly generalised accusation - without identifying those he deems 'good' - he has defamed every pilot at HKA.

In future, if I am asked who I work for by anyone who has read that article, they are now likely to consider me as a 'below average pilot' with 'standards below industry level'. That is a lie, and an insult.

I am away at present, but when I return to Hong Kong I will be seeing a Lawyer, and if I'm correct in my legal interpretation I will certainly sue Mr.Allan for defamation.