PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety questioned at Hong Kong Airlines?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2013, 15:09
HKAdumbanddangerous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former 330 Capt at HKA I can only thank CA for the steps he has taken. Like him I too went off to pastures but still in touch via friends and colleagues I worked with at HKA and other airlines. I know for a fact that this was never meant to go to the press but out of frustration and exhausting other required avenues this was the only way to get the issues the attention they needed. Prior to any of this all necessary steps were taken via official airline policies, only to see them brushed aside and ignored by our incompetent and nepotistic DFO. Get an airline up and running and to hell with the standards was his response. He then went to the CAD only to be told that they are not interested.

So after the airline deliberately ignored all protocols from a senior TRE to act on formal complaints as well as the CAD CA did what his conscious deemed necessary in order to bring this disgrace to light. A last resort. Unlike the misguided post above, these actions were begun at least 6 months before CA resigned. HKA and the CAD were made well aware of CA's intentions and how he would act should they continue to ignore the facts and evidence.

When a senior TRE gives first hand witness to these matters and the airline as well as CAD does nothing then the disgrace and corruption speaks for itself. For speaking up to the DFO CA had his TRE status removed.

Pilots are regularly failed in the sim during their PC only to be placed back in the sim the next day by one of the DFO's (many) yes-men to see that pilot or crew passed. How great they became over 24 hours! The immoral TRE/I's are too scared to fail a pilot for fear of reprimand from the DFO for doing so. And what's the point if they do? The pilot is only released back to line by another TRE/I very soon after. What's more the yearly bonus payment is affected if deemed by the DFO you do not show enough "loyalty" as he sees it.

(Apparently a Capt failed his PC only last week but the paperwork was changed in the office to reflect a pass by the head yes man, called GMO I think. PS: there is no GMO position in the OM-A or AOC but he has the title and of course is paid handsomely as such).

Certain TRI/TRE's have, at best, questionable credentials. A quick trip to TPE and visit to a spa and the head HKA TRE ("GMO") yes man asks you sign a certificate and like magic you are now a TRI. No course or sims required.

The DFO's favorite child has had his career nursed and fast tracked whereas he barely has the hours to apply for DEFO at most other airlines. But he was appointed Deputy Training Manager. He went to PEK to get TRE certification only to return to HK and fail his TRE upgrade sim - twice I believe. He was always a laughing stock and the brunt of all jokes regarding HKA's "training standards". The TRE who failed him was then duly stood down.

HKA operate with Capts and FOs who have zero idea due the anyone walking through the door recruitment style, plus zero training and standards that are a disgrace once they are employed. HKA pilots are regularly seen at the CAE sim center in jeans, trainers and t-shirt for their PC and RT. No need to panic as they are better dressed than the TRE/I anyway. Back at my previous airlines that would have you sent home with a warning letter. Most already have the instructor notes and tech exam on their iPads anyway. Colleagues of the same nationality as each other have a network whereby the leader is very senior in the fleet.

DEC's hired and given 4 line training flights before being checked to line. Career FO's at CX were offered commands above all others by way of seniority or date of joining in an attempt to lure more locals from CX. That's right, HKA take CX's "never to be promoted" and fast track them to a command. One criteria for command upgrade is to have a clean record, ie no paperwork against you and good RT and PC sims. One of these former CX guys definitely did have paperwork against him. Other Captains have told me that they felt compelled to write a report following incidents on flights. Where is it? Disappeared, obviously. Other clueless FO's work long hours in the office on their day off to be seen to kiss ar$e and gain a command that way. And it works. They are encouraged to report on other pilots - the Singaporean way of doing business. They come in and pull apart the Voyage Report envelops prior to a CAD inspection and edit where needed. They'll get your coffee for you as well. FO's must get there early though as there could be a line up.

The newspaper article writes HKA operate 28 aircraft? Really? So the CAD has removed the restriction placed upon the airline due it's embarrassing safety department? Last I was told by a buddy in the office the CAD has held their ground to only permit them 25 aircraft at best. With one incompetent yes man kicked out of the CSD by the COO another has jumped in to fill the space.

The new COO finally arrived but the in-fighting has only intensified I'm told. Yelling matches at meetings is the norm. As mentioned the DFO & friends tried to block his appointment for over 6 months. The different departments simply violently hate each other. The COO is handcuffed by CAD restrictions and not able to remove these fools as to do so would "destabilize" the airline. But what will he bring? a rebranded CAL? The GMF has recently resigned from the position as he simply cannot work under this regime in that capacity any longer.

Training Department? More like a Treasury Department. Senior TRE/I's managed to fly 95 hours a month while the rest were averaging 35. They get something like 6:1 or 8:1 pay when acting in a training or checking role. All of a sudden a pilot could not be checked to line without doing a Gatwick flight.

How many Fleet Managers, GMF's, Standards Managers and Heads of CSD has this airline had within 5 years? Too many to count. How many years did HKA operate without ETOPS or LVO? Simply because they were so incredibly incompetent in their standards to be granted permission to operate as such (another good thing the CAD did). The fact that HKA now does is worrying.

Even when I left they tried to drag my name down as I spoke out about these things. They sent emails to my new employer to rubbish my name.

If CA's whistle blowing casts doubt over the airline and every one of its pilots then GREAT. Only the guilty ones need be worried.