PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie taking the plunge!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2013, 12:40
adambsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 35 hours + in to my PPL.

Do not pay up front - if the school goes bust then you'll lose your money. Only ever pay for things you receive e.g. straight after your flight.

The syallabus is pretty much standard but things are changing from 1 Sep re exams etc. Your instructor will let you know exactly what you need. For example, you probably won't need nav kit for a while - so my CRP1 computer, protractor, charts and ruler have only recently come out to play even though I bought them back in September. Likewise re the books - just buy the ones you need when you need them otherwise they gather dust for a while.

Get your medical in and (based on current exam rules) get Aviation law passed asap (this exam is changing from 1 Sep so take advice). You'll need them to go solo (my club requires law to be passed before going solo).

I bought my own headset early on - didn't like using older used sets from the club but that's just me.

A decent bag for your kit is useful too although I am just using a small rucksack.

Enjoy it - I love it and get very giddy on flying lesson days. Up at 6am on a Sunday for a 9:30am flight proves that!

I started doing a hour a week and am now on two hours per week for nav exercises. I reckon I will need late 50s/early 60s in hours before I get my licence.

Last edited by adambsmith; 24th Jul 2013 at 12:54.