PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed threads about airport security (merged)
Old 6th Mar 2003, 14:42
sharpshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boomerangs & Security

I work at a U.K. international airport in a safety related role. I read some of the threads relating to security issues and still maintain that total safeguarding of aircraft & their occupants is a Utopian dream.

I recently flew down to Australia and back and as we progressed eastwards, the cutlery started in the all plastic phase, mellowed into an incongruos mix of plastic and stainless steel and on the final sector I actually had the ability to eat my meal with a full set of proper cutlery. As noted on this forum before, Champagne was always available in solid glass bottles from Rheims!

Like all good tourists I bought a boomerang in the deparure lounge on my way home (stowed in hand luggage) and thought very little about it.....until I noticed some curiosity as it was X-rayed when I got off for an overnighter in DXB.

Now I can't throw a boomerang for love nor money - however, would it be classified as a weapon had I tried leaving any airport outside Oz with it in my hand luggage??
I didn't want to find out the hard way