PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanna see my Wokka
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2013, 06:04
gijoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'My torture with the wokka,

I was a Ground Engineer during GW1 and, as luck would have it had been allocated to an SF crew who were to "spearhead" the FARP (Forward Airhead Refuelling Point) as an SF tactic to range extend the Chinook for insertion of "the lads" into the nastier parts of Iraq. Prior to deployment to a nice warm climate, we, as a crew, were to go to RAF Stafford to be briefed on the equipment and how to use it. No probs we thought, but then, we hadn't reckoned with the "legendary" RAF sense of humour. We were to be given a lift from the top secret Wiltshire transport base, to RAF Stafford in a Chinook, laid on by 7 (SF) Squadron. On hearing the news we all went slightly pale and searched our almanacs of excuses for a reason not to be available for the forthcoming vibrate to the midlands.

All was well though, despite getting us on the beast, and strapped in, during start it did not perform as required. The Pilot declared it knackered, and our Flight Engineer suggested we travelled by car instead. We did as he suggested, and, to prove that we survived the threat of becoming airborne in such an "unnatural vibrational clatterbug", I am here to repeat the tale.

Full respect to the men who man this mighty Goliath of the world of coriolis, those who defy the laws of nature and deny the right of bad luck to exist. I'm just grateful I evaded the opportunity to experience its magnificence.

Smudge'

Poof!!

It is a great piece of kit and you would have loved telling those who haven't have the opportunity about it...

G