PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can you fly a Citabria/ Decathlon from the back seat?
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 23:07
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18greens, at Tatenhill in the UK, near Derby. If you have better suggestions please do share but please take costs into account. I have friends who stay in Derby so I get free accommodation while I'm flying and at £148/ hour dual, it's difficult to beat the Decathlon. That includes landing fees and everything.

BELIEVE ME, if I could afford a Pitts, I would do it, no question. I don't think there is a video of Sean Tucker or Skip Stewart that I haven't watched. And similarly, a Chipmunk would be amazing too.

Given the roll rate of the Pitts, it probably is sensible to learn on something a bit more docile. My body isn't used to doing aileron/ barrel rolls outside of flight simulators, so it would certainly be sensible to work my way up to something as capable as a Pitts one day.

Piper.Classique, the tug pilots in the club which I am in contact with can get anything from 200 to 500 hours in one season apparently. Even if it was 100 hours, it's a damn side better than paying for most of my hour building. Of course there will be others applying for the position so I really want to stand out from the crowd. I think it's a risk well worth it. If I don;t get the job, at the end of the day I still have lots of extra experience which will come in handy one day!