PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 16:15
8eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

TwinAisle.

At least you work in the real world. You are so right to disassociate yourself from this report. I am very sceptical about most things I have read on WalesOnline, particularly articles claiming to be able to create hundreds if not thousands of jobs. And there have been a few that claim just that.

Back to reality. I can understand the potential of somewhere like BHX as a major hub because the infrastructure is already in place and it is a relatively easy connection to London. Whether we like it or not, it is the connectability to the southeast that is vital. London and its environs matter here big time because that is where most connections, travellers and money emanate. It's just a fact of life.

So A BHX hub is a possibility, a Thameside hub is credible, expansion at Stansted is likely as it is at Gatwick. But a major hub in say Norwich (140miles to LHR) is not, nor is East Mids (120miles) and Cardiff (150miles) is a definite NoNo. It just is not going to happen. It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

So who exactly has cooked this one up? Have they any real experience in Public Transport, Aviation, Railways, or Airports? Yet here they are claiming a potential of 55,000 jobs and an estimated 8 to 20 million pax going through CWL by 2040. Really? Oh and by the way it will only cost £18 billion! Well that's great then - isn't it.