PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation vs Seat-of-the-pants-flying talking as devil's advocate - so no abuse plea
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 12:20
mross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automation vs Seat-of-the-pants-flying talking as devil's advocate - so no abuse plea

I posted this in the Asiana 214 thread but is was then closed. Was it a Moderator who edited my post, changing *Land Rover* to Trabant? I left it as is because it made me laugh.

Automation vs Seat-of-the-pants-flying
talking as devil's advocate - so no abuse please.

Occasionally the pilot has to intervene because the automation is not doing what the pilot expects.

How many times does the automation intervene because the pilot is not doing what the automation philosophy demands? It is probably under reported.

From my perspective the automation has lead to increased safety in the last decade and the odd exceptions do not invalidate this perception.

Most car enthusiasts have had to acknowledge that they can't repair an engine problem on the side of the road any longer due to the sheer amount of electronics under the bonnet (hood, for the cousins) even on my diesel *Trabant*. But, you have to admit, modern cars are incredibly reliable, so it is a worthwhile trade.

That planes will fly without pilots within 20 years is indisputable. Driverless cars will come within ten years. And safety will continue improve.

Last edited by mross; 23rd Jul 2013 at 12:21.