PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 08:57
Elevators

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just been reading all the interesting posts on Maun. Brings back some memories.
I flew in Maun years ago with Moremi Air, then owned by Mark Smith. 1997 I think it was? Seems like everything is just the same as it was then? Maybe a little bigger now with a few more caravans and twins etc.
If your thinking of going to Maun, my advice is DO IT!!! I fly a 777 now and I can tell you that although the finances are a little better its the most incredibly boring and over regulated flying you will ever do.
Get out there and enjoy what is probably the best stick and rudder flying in the world. with the exception of maybe Alaska? Plus you have great scenery all at low level and fantastic wildlife and some of the best entertainment and friends you will meet in aviation. Everytime I see a C206 I have to smile. I loved it there.
As a pilot in Maun you will learn the ropes far quicker and better then your compatriates who elect to stay at home and go down the hours building route or instructing route. You will be wearing many different hats. Dispatcher, load controller, ATC (sometimes) fuel'er, Maintenance (Yes you will get stuck somewhere in east nowhere and have to do this) Flight planner..... the list goes on. You will leave Maun as a very capable pilot.
It was a fantastic time in my life and because of it I can certainly pole an airplane.
The only down side to places like maun (in the flying sense) is that you will be a little rough round the edges when it comes to things like regulations, SOPs ANRs and all that which is part and parcel for the airline world, should that be your goal? My advice is don't worry about it. Get flying, have fun, get the experience, then go back and polish yourself up for the rules and regulations that that we are forced to comply with in the airline world.
Get out there and get flying on a 18 sector day round the delta starting with Vumbra and ending up in Vic falls.
Wish I could be there. So much fun.
Cheers Guys.
Royal Navy you have just ruined my plans with all that talk of Maun being some of the best flying of your life. Now I'm going to have to change my mind and book a ticket there.

I was going to go out to the Australian bush, but after reading your comment, you have reignited my obsession with heading over for the hiring season. With 280TT I know I wont quite make the Botswana requirements so Im looking firmly at Nam.

Any advice from those in Namibia right now? Still having a blast?

Last edited by Elevators; 23rd Jul 2013 at 08:58.