PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job After 200 Hours
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2003, 09:53
batty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military a stupid comparison?? I flew in the military for 15 years but not as a pilot and we had guys flying the AWACS a NATO asset worth in the region of £200 million with the type of experience we are talking about. There were 19 man crews aboard so they are no small fish. There are also military troop carriers with 200 plus passengers down the back, being flown by these low houred pilots...etc etc

Time in the air does count as you say.....but only up to a point. A guy with 1500 hours in a single vs a guy with 200 hours single and 1300 hours jet.......mmm I know which one i would prefer to employ.

Hours count when they are productive and relivent, tootling around in a single for fun is not productive, and in some cases can be counterproductive. Guys with FI rating are clocking up relivent productive hours...up to a point. I have seen guys with lots of light aircraft hours failing type rating courses whilst low hour guys pass well. Relivence is what counts, a low hour guy has few bad habits, is in the learning grove, and often much more current with all of his hours being quality hours.

PS I have 1800 hours pilot (1600 B737) 200 singles/light twin. I have a further 3500 hours RAF aircrew, (including 2 wars).......so your right I have very little experience of aviation.

Last edited by batty; 6th Mar 2003 at 10:07.