PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2013, 22:13
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been flying commercially since 70's. A mixture of singles, twins, biz-jets, tail-draggers, aeros & then needles & dials B732 on to LNAV/VNAV/EFIS/EICAS Boeings. I was trained to fly then operate an a/c. Flying was encouraged and operating also; each for the appropriate & suitable scenario.
I now train self sponsored newbies on the standard LNAV/VNAV type a/c. The syllabus covers what to do on an SOP day. It then covers standard QRH non-normals, again in an SOP environment. I try to inject a little reality into the training, if the cadets are sharp and there is time to spare: often unlikely. The training on a TQ course is very basic. There is no training on a TQ course of anything complicated. That's OK. But, the same is true on a command course. They might experience multiple QRH failures, that's all. They do not learn what to do it the automatics mis-behave. They do not practice basic aircraft control should the whizz-bang computers pack up. They do not learn the 'traps' of the automatics and their dangers. There's not a lot of 'what if' discussion. It's all too simple and uncomplicated, but that is where many accidents arise, the uncommon, the misuse of the automatics or lack of basic handling skills. Basic handling skills should be encouraged on a daily basis, but is not. The emphasis is on absolute adherence to SOP's to avoid getting anywhere near the edge of the envelope. The problem arises when circumstances, which include malfunctions- ATC- mother nature- pilot mistakes bring you towards the edge and out of your regular comfort zone. Can you handle it, can your work out what is going on and what to do about it. More often than not, no. It is a spiral, spinning down to more SFO, Bali, TSL, AF 447, etc. etc. Is there any answer from the authorities? It is happening worldwide. FAA, EASA, and the Far East authorities have a common problem, but are they opening a discussion into a coordinated solution? I don't think so. It is too much to hope the individual companies to start solving the problem as many are of he opposite philosophy. It's a sad future in the short term.

Last edited by RAT 5; 22nd Jul 2013 at 23:12.