PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CIVIL IRs, the 7 year rule and military IRs - Good News!!
Old 22nd Jul 2013, 20:23
jpboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beags,

Great news, I understand the background to the 7 year license re-issue problem and not meaning to drift but may I expand a little on your comment to avoid any confusion for those about to leave the Forces aiming for the airlines?

A UK or JAR-FCL ATPL will be re-issued for a further period (5 or 10 years validity as appropriate to the licence held) if the applicant:

is a Qualified Service Pilot in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces who is in current flying practice on a military type appropriate to the licence held (i.e. an aeroplane for re-issue of an aeroplane pilot licence or a helicopter for re-issue of a helicopter pilot licence).
To avoid doubt the pre-requisite experience to start a type rating course for a candidates first multi pilot aeroplane (ie. first airline job) is a multi-engined IR. Most QSPs will have had to fly a twin for the IR, if that rating remains current then job done. But if that twin rating has lapsed and a QSP candidate is using their Green mil rating to keep the ATPL current then it has to be a Green multi-engined rating at course start date.

I spent months attempting to reason with the CAA on behalf of QSPs and received different interpretations dependant on who answered the phone. At one point I was assured a Green rating on a Tutor was sufficient for an ATPL candidate (lapsed Seneca IR) to start a 737 type rating course for the Policy Department at the CAA to overturn the advice and state;

This morning we discussed the ME IR which is one of the pre-requisites in order to gain the first MPA Type rating. You highlighted the LASORS 2010 text of para F4.1 b) which includes the following: “A UK QSP who has held a Green IR within the preceding 5yrs is deemed to hold a ‘current and valid’ IR.” I confirmed that given the paragraph starts with ; “Hold a current and valid Multi Engine IR…….” it is reasonable to assume that all subsequent IR references would be in relation to Multi engine IRs, even though this may not be specifically stipulated. The requirement of holding a current and valid ME IR, or in the case of a QSP, a ME green IR (within the last 5yrs) has been, and is Policy.
It came close to shafting our candidates. I would hate to see history repeat itself.

Great news nontheless and well done to all who worked hard for commonsense to prevail.