PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you "teach" SA?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2013, 15:23
Canadian Break

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SA

If I may be permitted to add to the debate. Firstly - I am not a pilot but worked in an allied profession for over 30 years - one in which SA was the key factor for success. Before England went to the RWC in 2003 Clive Woodward visited the establishment I worked in - in an attempt to understand how we taught our students SA. The idea was that if there were transferrable skills then perhaps they could be brought to bear on the rugby field. The preparation for the visit was interesting because it meant that we had to ask ourselves the question "how do we teach SA?" From my perspective, and with about 10 years as an instructor in the bank, I am convinced that you cannot teach SA. It's essentially an aptitude based skill; what you can teach people is a routine, or a set of actions, that will help them to "get ahead" of the situation by clearing routine niff naff in a timely manner (as has been mentioned by many here already), thus giving them more time to ask themselves questions such as "what if". This seemed to work but only if the basic aptitude for the task was there. If it wasn't, then the stude was working at 100% simply to accomplish the routine task at hand. Just a few thoughts..........CB