PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2013, 14:05
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC, Capt Barry Woods was interrogated for 2 days before being charged, and he was not allowed to leave Korea after the Cheju incident.

Double standards anyone?
As I recall, Barry Woods was allowed to leave SEL and went home to YVR after 'diplomatic intervention' as an article linked below puts it, with the promise that he would return. He never did return and passed away circa Y2K I believe. Seems like he was a Wardair captain who may have been bumped to FO when the carrier was bought by Canadian. In the 1990's the expat world was full of folks who went offshore to either regain a command or invent one on paper .

It is possible that the OZ 214 pilots would also have more risk of prosecution in South Korea so I'm not sure I'd call it a double standard:

However, before leaving San Francisco on Friday, the pilots told associates they are concerned that their government intends to hit them with criminal charges for lapses in the cockpit.
Will Asiana Airlines Pilots Face Prosecution for San Francisco Crash? - Korea Real Time - WSJ

Last edited by Airbubba; 22nd Jul 2013 at 14:07.