PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2013, 07:32
tilnextime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
olasek

It is irrelevant. The problem was much more basic - inability to monitor approach.
At this point in time, stating that the crew had an "inability" to monitor the approach is a bit of a stretch. However, it definitely appears that they did not monitor it, nor control it. The mishap investigators' job will be to determine why the approach was not monitored or controlled. As the AA "magenta" video points out, automation can lead to bad habits and inappropriate dependency.

I investigated a number of mishaps where highly proficient pilots made horrible errors, simply by assuming the maneuver or mission being conducted was just like every one before it, and thus overlooked what most would identify (after the fact) as obvious indications that things were otherwise. As I noted back a ways, one of the most sage pieces of advice we received in flight school was, "No flight should be treated as routine until the post mission debrief." The critical thing in any mishap investigation is to learn the "why" and then get other aircrew members to avoid or deal with that "why".

I doubt this crew was presented any "surprises" in arrival and approach to SFO. Every "complicating" factor that has been thrown out (fatigue, visual approach, lack of familiarity, etc) was known (or the info readily available) before takeoff.

Last edited by tilnextime; 22nd Jul 2013 at 07:34.