PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2013, 06:29
Oracle1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prevention is better than cure

Everyone is devoting a lot of energy as to the why's of this incident but the fact is that in all probability something similar will occur again. The purpose of this thread should not be to determine if the crew is at fault. There two positions,

1. the crew got themselves into it and got themselves out of it or

2. The system let them down.

I am just a dumb mechanic but I am certain that the establishment will become more incompetent not less. If there is any chance that CASA/ATSB can blame a pilot to protect the system they will do so. Pilots will be exposed further. I am well aware that there are operators using synthetic vision to land at night out west (I do not condone this at all, check out the classic ad for FLIR with the deer in the middle of the runway with the synthetic vision showing a clear space).

If I can buy a Dynon with Foxtel showing me the scenery for 5 grand why cant we have an accurate GPS system to determine an aircraft's position in larger aircraft, after all the money flow for development is in larger aircraft. Drones land blind every time.

Wont be long before a pilot takes his guidance with him from aircraft to aircraft in GA, eg Ipad and AHDRS/GPS bluetooth unit. My little unapproved dynon EFIS ****s all over the vacumn gauges in my 172 for reliability. The system needs to be aircraft specific not airstrip specific.