PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2013, 06:06
framer

Received 482 Likes on 130 Posts
So honest question, what is wrong with departing BNE on a day when the dew point is only two off the temp and calm, with loading I dunno 3200kg for MEL and another 1-2T for whatever extra holding you might need due forecast for MEL so that they arrived with 2T+ in Melbourne?
Good question. Would 2T be enough to plan on arriving in MEL ? Lets say they did just that. Then they didn't get their optimum altitude for the divert, now we're down to 1.8 T. Then there was an extra 30kts of headwind ( happens all the time) now we're down to 1.7T. Then they got one lap of the hold for sequencing as there is fog in CBR and ADL and MIA so a few others have the same idea, now we're down to 1.5T and nothing out of the ordinary has happened. Then ATC lines up an A330 who takes a bit longer than expected and the ensuing go around nails another .8T leaving them with 0.7T on a crappy day in MEL. So planning on 2T overhead MEL with that weather is questionable, so how much should they plan on having overhead MEL? 3T?
If three tonne is acceptable to you Jabba, does that work with the MLW and the pax loads? I'm running out of battery so haven't got time to check from the report if it does or doesn't. That's an honest question too, I'm not being facetious, just running with your line of thinking to see where it ends up.
It was a CAVOK forecast so if the result is offloading pax or freight then it would be very hard to justify.
Ps I'm not a min fuel guy