PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a DUI a showstopper?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 23:35
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Esso had a chap flying as a contractor (Captain) and when looking to make him staff asked the question, to which he admitted 20 years prior. Given the boot. If they ask own up, otherwise keep stumm.
I suspect the person in question may have withheld the info on his application prior.

If they don't ask, don't voluntarily offer up the info. The key is that you have been able to hold an ASIC post - conviction.

All you need is the ability to hold, and continue to be able to hold, an ASIC. Same goes for the Class 1 Medical. You may have medical issues, but generally the prospective employer doesn't care - providing you can continue to hold a Class 1. In a previous life I interviewed several guys with medical conditions on their licence. I couldn't have cared less, as they were classed by AVMED as medically fit. They continue with their airline careers today

Another thing to consider is previous Workcover claims. Both the airlines I've worked for asked the question in the application form, to which I answered honestly. (My payout helped kick me off with flying). If you subsequently have reason to make a Workcover claim, there is the question about previous claims or injury. Unless you're consistent, you might give your employer grounds for disciplinary action, if you know what I mean

In summary - if it's not asked, don't offer. If it is, best be honest about it. In other words, don't give your (prospective) employer reason to give you the boot in the future.

Good luck!