PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 22:34
poina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be interesting to hear what was discussed on the approach briefing, if there was one, prior to tod.
Did the new check airman in the right seat have the trainee scroll thru the map page and point out possible speed/alt hoowahs?
Did he brief the trainee on the approach notes emphasizing dme and altitudes and the configuration which would put them in the best energy state for a stabilized app by 1000 ft?
Did he make the trainee use the sec flt plan for possible runway changes?
Did he have the trainee explain the ma procedure for their primary/sec flt plan as written in their procedures?
These would be just a few of the items, but it lets the trainee know just WHO is in command, and on this flight there was no one in that capacity.

I always felt this was essential, more so with new captains, along with saying " if I'm not happy at 1000ft. I will take control."

I agree that fatigue had a role, however rest could have been rearranged to be back in the seat 3 hours out. I'm guessing on this but I played it this way on the MD11 as we always did double crew.
Anyway, long haul with 2 crews was never as bad as 2100 hr dept for SLC-DEN-OAK-DEN-SLC arriving at 0600.

So the point of this long, boring post is the need for communication, exercising command, using all the whiz bang tools of modern aviation, and assessing the ability of the trainee, and bottom line, if you're not happy with anything then fly it yourself.