PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class E Airspace in the UK?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 21:33
Easy Street

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
Mad as a Mad Thing

I am not suggesting that Class E is the right solution for the kind of areas you describe. As you say, these should be Class D (or stricter), and ICAO agrees with you. My point was that we should consider converting some of the current expanse of Class G into Class E.

All of the issues you describe apply in UK Class G airspace when IFR traffic is receiving a deconfliction service, which is daily business at any military airfield with a MATZ, and around a number of civil IFR airports such as Exeter and Inverness. And in Class G airspace,VFR traffic can legitimately be 'clear of cloud, in sight of surface' with visibility sufficiently poor that high-speed IFR traffic has absolutely no hope of seeing it. At least in Class E you can assume that the unknown VFR traffic is complying with a more stringent set of weather parameters.

I agree with you that Class E is not a known traffic environment. It is not meant to be a sanitised area in which the controller rules the roost, which I know is an odd concept to some UK ATCers . The reason why I think Class E would be a better way of defining some of our current Class G airspace is that it provides an internationally-understood description of separation standards, service provision, pilot and controller responsibilities, etc - which at the moment are defined on a UK-specific basis through application of FIS in Class G.

I would argue that the majority of UK Class G airspace above 3000' or so is already operated along Class E lines, with the overwhelming majority of enroute IFR traffic getting a service of some description, most likely a deconfliction service if IMC, and the majority of VFR traffic going about its business unfettered by ATC. So why not call a spade a spade? As I've said before, it's not about safety, it's about using the international language of ICAO to describe what's going on, rather than the bespoke language of the CAA.

Last edited by Easy Street; 20th Jul 2013 at 21:34.