PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 21st Century Innovations for the Helicopter
Old 20th Jul 2013, 18:40
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I like simple, reliable, and simple.

I'd just like rear facing cameras so I can see what's falling off, leaking out, or on fire.
The mirrors on the 61 were brilliant! And no circuits to fail!

For myself, I want versatility. In the thread Ian references, guys ask for helicopters that have full Class 1 OEI performance fully loaded everywhere. I hear it said about the 225 (no, I'm not 225 bashing!) that all seats get filled, every time. I prefer an old 61. Lots of seats, lots of fuel tanks and lots of cargo space. I manage it.

I was able to accomplish a number of missions as long as I had the integrity and professionalism to trade one (fuel/cargo/people) for the other. I am saddened that the regulators and manufacturers no longer feel we are capable of managing the helicopter's capabilities ourselves.

I'd also put in a vote for NVG/EVS compatible cockpits as standard.

More autopilot modes and complicated features programmed in I don't need. I don't care if it will level off at 50' over the runway at the bottom of an ILS when it's only certified to Cat I. The only reason I'm there is because I screwed up or mother nature has decided to commit homicide.

I don't need a helicopter that thinks for me, but rather one that gives me capabilities to make a hard job look easy.

It would also be nice to see a manufacturer who aims at the utility market. Good load visibility, a rotor designed to lift, not go fast, and get rid of any weight that isn't lifting the load!

Last edited by pilot and apprentice; 20th Jul 2013 at 18:42.