PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 12:38
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "Guys, about runway crossings; you've seen the maps, right?

There are ATETs
."

Very good point!!

Quote: "Now if Heathrow Airport Limited were making a case for both a third and a fourth rwy....... " (apologies for quoting myself!)

Quote:Actually they do, sort of:

"We believe Heathrow can accommodate four runways successfully if required to do so and that the impacts of such a plan can be successfully mitigated."

In fact the proposal illustrates three different four-runway options (plus the Policy Exchange proposal, which they dismiss):

A. north + southwest
B. northwest + southwest

and, you will be pleased to hear

C. dual northwest

Although HAL agree with my assessment that you can't fit two runways between the A4 and M4 - the northernmost runway runs along the line of the M4, which would now run in a tunnel underneath it."

Yes, noticed that, and was very pleased to read it in the submission.

My original idea had the two new rwys staggered, with my third roughly along the line of the original third and therefore shorter than proposed by Heathrow Limited in this document. Their arguments for a longer third (and eventually fourth?) rwy(s) cannot be faulted!

A longer third rwy followed by a longer fourth rwy would require, as a minimum, diverting and/or tunnelising roads, the A4, M4, M4 spur and the M25 being the prime candidates. If they go south west of the airport, reservoir demolition will be needed as well.

So Heathrow Airport Limited need to start on a fourth rwy at the same time as a third if they reckon it will be needed in 2040. It's going to take longer to complete.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 20th Jul 2013 at 12:41.