PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 21st Century Innovations for the Helicopter
Old 20th Jul 2013, 11:10
HeliStudent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
21st Century Innovations for the Helicopter

Could I ask helicopter pilots and engineers to offer their suggestions for something they would like to see improved about helicopters and which they think might be achievable with current levels of technology.

For instance, as a pilot or engineer what is the thing/s you would most like to see improved about the helicopter you fly and work on.

Even though I'm just a spectator I won't let myself off the hook and here's my idea for a safety item -

In the thread for the Brazilian TV helicopter which crashed and also in the one for the crash in Siberia the helicopters are badly damaged because of a loss of control and of course there are so many more like these all around the world.

My suggestion is for a "helicopter air bag" which can be activated in the event that the pilot has lost complete control and is certain he is going to crash land.

The air bags could be fitted to the underbelly of the heli and serve as floats in the event of having to land on the water but they should be maybe a bit bigger and maybe more of them so that they could cushion a hard landing as in an accident.

I know it sounds stupid and I am sure it won't work for lots of aerodynamic reasons that I don't yet understand but I just wanted to add my thoughts.

I am really interested to hear from professionals on what they think is the most important or useful thing that should be developed to improve helicopters or that you would like to see improved on helicopters.

Last edited by HeliStudent; 20th Jul 2013 at 11:13.