PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 06:39
White None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not allow them into our airports until they conform to our standards?
I'm afraid my comment on this may not be popular but if all countries adopted that approach, you may find that some US aircrew might struggle outside their homeland. Just because you have a large landmass, large economy etc does not justify riding roughshod over standard R/T, or pitching the level of expectation at those highly familiar with airport quirks. Throw a US only driver familiar and competent on his network into a busy holding scenario with Thunderstorms over Bombay and all of a sudden the roles might just reverse. As an English only speaker who has taken Heavy Jets to Europe, Asia, OZ, Middle East, NAM I can honestly say, and I am not alone in this, that it is easier to operate into some foreign language speaking ports but with careful spoken, phonetically correct, standard, (IAW signed up agreements), appropriately paced R/T, than it is into my absolute favourite nightstop, SFO. I'm not trying to be argumentative but surely the challenge should be to eradicate ANY possible contributory factors to this accident, not just focus on what MAY be the prime reason of a poorly flown (crashed) Viz Appr.
Finally, if you are going to use the phrase
our standards
I -> AGREE <- with you, BUT please look inwards and at ATC/Procedures as well as at us Pesky Foreigners.