PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confused About What License To Obtain??
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2013, 20:33
Conan the Vulgarian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what countries you have the right to live and work in, so I can't say what license(s) would be useful to you.

It depends on how the market works in the countries you can work in, if people commonly base N-reg aircraft there (which sometimes bizjet operators etc. do because of cost advantages) then an FAA license could be useful, even if you never work in the US. Similarly, if people are operating aircraft that are registered in an EASA state, then you can fly them with an EASA license, whether or not you are in an EASA state at the time - now whether that actually goes on (whether EASA allow it) I don't know.

If you don't know what the minimum hours to convert to a DGCA Indian CPL are, you need to find out before you do anything at all - your authority must publish something that tells you this? In the UK we have CAP804 which outlines how the EASA licensing standards are applied, and when JAA was in effect we had LASORS which did the same.

Perhaps one of the first things to do is to create a list of employers who you'd like to eventually work for, then do some calling and emailing to find out if they will advise you how their pilots normally obtain their licenses and what licenses are useful (or well regarded) in the industry in your part of the world.

If all you need is an Indian CPL (ie. there are no jobs for FAA/EASA licenses), and it doesn't matter how you end up with it, then the best route is going to be the cheapest (as long as you choose quality training providers in whatever country you do the training). In other words, as long as you get good training, whether you convert from FAA, EASA, SA or whatever shouldn't matter.

Last edited by Conan the Vulgarian; 19th Jul 2013 at 20:35.