PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident at Renfrew 1963
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2013, 16:28
chevvron

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
I was at Glasgow (Abbotsinch not Renfrew) for much of 1972. If I recall correctly, (and I admit I may be wrong) 3 Tridents would leave for Heathrow on weekdays 0800, 0815, 0830. There would also be 2 BUA/BCal One Elevens departing in this same period for Gatwick.
A large hare was observed every morning sitting on the grass at the edge of the apron. As a Trident taxiied past, it would run across the grass to the runway and watch it take off. Then it would return to the apron to wait for the next one. It only did it with the Tridents, not the One Elevens.
In those days, the remnants of Renfrew were visible from the motorway out of the city to the airport, there was the old terminal and control tower plus a hangar.
I believe the BEA Trident fleet was maintained at Glasgow in this period, which saw Trident 3s introduced. When departing from runway 24 (now 23) they would attempt to light the booster as they passed the control tower. First a plume of fuel vapour would appear, then a jet of flame as the engine lit. Although the Fire Station was also adjacent, it wasn't needed in my time there.

Last edited by chevvron; 19th Jul 2013 at 16:39.