PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF flag on Alpe d'Huez - TdeF Stage 18
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2013, 13:47
Bob Viking

Received 550 Likes on 150 Posts
RAF flag on Alpe d'Huez - TdeF Stage 18

Sandy Parts.
As an avid road cyclist myself, who's been gripped by every tour for over twenty years, it is fantastic to finally have so much British interest. I have also noticed the apparent lack of coverage of Froome's efforts. I put it down to several factors. Firstly, he is not viewed as an all-British individual because of his foreign up-bringing and he certainly doesn't come across like your average guy from Chippenham (or wherever). He never received as much interest even in his early tours when he rode for minor teams such as Barloworld. Secondly, he is not as interesting in interviews as Bradley. Thirdly, his efforts come after the whole Armstrong affair and amidst the meltdown in athletics. Large swathes of the public are probably, understandably, sceptical about the whole sport at the moment. I was taken in by Lance hook, line and sinker but I fully believe the Team Sky set up is squeaky clean. In fact the whole sport really has cleaned up its act in dramatic form. Apart from Lance (I believe head figures in the UCI should resign over the issue) cycling is a world leader in catching cheats which is why it receives so much adverse publicity.
Anyway, sorry to divert the thread from a classic pprune tangent.
BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 19th Jul 2013 at 15:49.