PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2013, 11:30
willadvise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an aside something needs to be done about alerting crews about changing wx instead of the bs situation where it's a sole crew responsibility when in flight (other than a hazard alert). Something also needs to be done about TTFs valid for 3 hrs and frequently changing on the next 1/2 hr. Happening all too often.

A hazard alert will only be directed to you if you are within 1hr (2hrs for a SIGMET) of the hazardous conditions as well.
A SPECI at a non controlled aerdrome will be only directed to you if you are within 1hr flight time.
A SPECI at a non controlled aerodrome will not be directed to you or its availability generally broadcasted if there is a VHF AWIS. This is to reduce the workload associated with "nuisance" SPECIs. A "nuisance" SPECI is when the actual conditions are the same as the forecast conditions. Eg If TS RA and VRB gusting winds are forecast a SPECI will be generated reflecting that. Often these SPECIs are generated every 10-15mins and at multiple locations within a controllers airspace creating a deluge of information that nobody particularly cares about. Interestingly if the AWIS is NOTAMed US then it still won't be directed/broadcast. This is because SPECIs generated at locations that have a VHF AWIS are not sent to the controller.

In practice a lot of ATCs, but not all (particularly if they have a high workload or a handover has occurred), will pass hazard alert and AMD wx to all potentially affected aircraft. This I think has led (feel free to contradict me if you think otherwise) to a sense of "ATC will let me now if something has changed"
Personally, if an aircraft diverts, I will check the MET for their proposed diversion destination (TAF and METAR usually). I do this because I have on 2 occasions prevented a diversion to a location that was not suitable.

It appears QF ops monitor the weather forecasts and advise there crews. Does Virgin or any other airline do the same?

The provision of MET is a distraction to ATC of the prime purpose of separation. In years gone by the Flight Service supervisor (not plugged in and talking to aircraft) was responsible for assessing MET products and ensuring distribution. When FS was absorbed into to ATC there was a decision made to only direct it to aircraft within 1 hrs flight time and give the responsibility to the ATC on the console. I am sure most of you can have a guess why! If the provision of AMD Met information is to be expanded then it should be removed from the responsibility of the operational ATC.

Last edited by willadvise; 19th Jul 2013 at 12:13. Reason: Added info about SPECIs