PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is an Aerobatic Rating a bonus for future employment?
Old 19th Jul 2013, 08:56
vjs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just something to add to my previous post - sure it is fun to have such an endorsement. Practically in nowadays aviation it is useless. In the old days, having no monitoring(both airlines and GA) you could "shoot" sometimes a nice, sporty approach - this trained as well handflying skills which are worth a million if the **** hits the fan.
Today pilots(most, thank god not all) are a different caliber. A lot lack skills in manual flying. Before even unskilled guys could train to be better in flying if basic skills where missing. Today both options are not available anymore in most operations. You don't get skills in gliding down an ILS - even if it would be "raw data"(which is not leagal to do as well in the majority of operators). Consult your OM-A , one would be surprised what's forbidden this days.

I can only(sadly) repeat - this profession has been killed by desk jockeys. And an aerobatic endorsement is now so important as having colourful feathers sticking in your ass during your interview - it doesn't help.
But is is fun, go for it if you got the money. The prices what they want to have now for an small (aerobatic) aircraft /hour are incredibly high(if you consider the money you are able to make), so think how often you would be able to do actual acro flying once finished.
Glider towing, meat bombing and all this stuff is good for hour building and training(did that as well before I joined my first turbine job, after that there was no time anymore for "playing"). Due too the high amount of approaches and landings this things are invaluable training grounds for new pilots.

Last but not least - talking of skill: See all this recent aircraft accidents done by "green" pilots, dircetly trained by the airlines. A lot of them have 150 hours and then going on an A330 or 777. Some "cadets" wrecked a good number of landing gears(QR was one of them, I hope they changed their trg. programme a bit). But this proofs again what airlines/Bizjet operators want: A guy who is able to fly (more or less) from A to B, hoping they make the landing

Last edited by vjs; 19th Jul 2013 at 21:37.