PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Jet approach "Speed at your discretion"
Old 5th Mar 2003, 18:10
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
An interesting question.

When I first converted to a jet (737-100/200) a training captain gave me a couple of helpful and slightly conservative 'gates' - 300kts. or less at 30 miles, 210kts. or less at 20 miles. They served well as 'gates'.

The standard speeds used by LHR ATC are pretty good too - 180kts. to about 10 miles, 160kts. or greater to 4 miles.

These speeds are not definitive but I have never really understood the point of flying right at the limits possible when the net gain is probably less than a minute!

Also when flying to the edge of what is possible an unexpected tailwind or a slight shortening of route by ATC can cause speed reduction to achieve a stabilised approach to be difficult if not impossible.

I have to disagree with Flaps 5 that a larger aircraft takes longer to slow. Some maybe, but the 747-400 was not noticeably more difficult than lighter Boeings apart from, as mentioned above, the longer transit time from Flaps 1 to Flaps 5.

It is far more comfortable to be slow early than sitting on the edge of your seat hoping that you can lose the speed!