PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop Pilot Skills going on the Shortage list. Your help required.
Old 19th Jul 2013, 07:57
URCleared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets be honest, if Air NZ opened up recruitment to cut off Link Pilots from the Jets, then they'd just create another problem. They'll lose Pilots to overseas carriers just as quickly as they import them.
So its to take on pilots with 500hrs?

There are a lot of pissed of pilots out there with Air NZ, not only those that had to go overseas because of the Supply/Demand issue at the time and the Space Shuttle requirements, or those that were discriminated against when they returned because of the overseas experience they had (go figure on that one), but also those with experience out there right now not even being called up (which would fix your described upgradable FO issue) . Nevermind the actual recruitment process that is in place. - Does flipping a piece of paper and shouting at Interviewees really get you the best pilots up front? If ANZ is so utterly desperate that you want Pilot Skills on the ISSL surely before that the first thing to do is to cut out some of this Psychological screening garbage out of the interview process. It still doesn't impinge on your Hours and other requirements, pick up the ruddy phone and start calling pilots with applications meeting the experience level, instead of picking and choosing the shiney apples.
Hey it's your train set play it as you see fit, however the job market is also ours!

There's a few Career Link drivers sure, but most of today's Pilots want a Jet Job. Preferably with a Koru on the tail, and are willing to wait for it, but if that door gets closed to them....
Why is there any DESO hiring taking place at all if you have so many Link Pilots waiting? Sure you can't bleed the experience level from the Links, but seems to me you are setting yourselves up for just the very thing you say you are trying to avoid (which happened not too long ago if I recall). All at the price of the antiquated Seniority System. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Link and Jet seniority systems are mixed yet?

while guys who have been around nearly 2 years still haven't finished their subjects
Didn't there used to be a termination clause for this situation with a 2yr limit?
Or was that just folklore

Last edited by URCleared; 19th Jul 2013 at 10:00. Reason: typo