PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2013, 01:28
olandese_volante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
md80fanatic
If the ELT was activated some how, there is a possibility that a highly inefficient transmission scenario was occurring. This usually results in higher transmitter temperatures and/or higher battery drain.
Large ground planes are a requirement with transmitters operating on much lower frequencies. That's why cellphones don't use the 27MHz band

The 121.5MHz transmitter in the ELT works at very low power, a mere 150mW. I wouldn't worry too much about power drain, even with a not-so-efficient antenna configuration, unless I'd want to power the thing from a 9V transistor battery.
The 406MHz transmitter has a rated output of 5W, but at such a high frequency you really do not need a large ground plane - a piece of alu foil a foot square would be quite OK. Also, the 406MHz signal is made up of short bursts, with a low duty cycle: overall power drain is fairly modest.

LASJayhawk
But if one of those diodes short, you will have a dead short across that cell.
A silicon diode like the one in the picture shorting out spontaneously is a very unlikely event. More so when, as in this type of circuit, they are not under any significant stress.
short a diode out and see what happens
Well, if you want to do a little experiment, here's how I'd do it:
Solder a few feet of heavy gauge wire (12AWG) to both cell terminals, connect the other ends to a heavy duty switch (make sure the switch is open!).
Close the switch and get away real quick.
The total circuit resistance will be in the order of 0.03 ohms or so if the connections are nice and solid and you use a good quality, 30A rated switch.

Of course you'd only ever do this out in the open, away from any flammable materials.