PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2013, 15:47
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pabely

And doesn't this media video show on option for runway 3 & 4?

The BBC briefing I saw had 4 runways at LHR too. One runway to the immediate north, or to the NW. And one a long way to the SW. Both of the westerly options require putting the M25 in a long tunnel, so there is an extra expense for a start.

But none of this minimises not only the noise nuisance of flying over London, but the dangers associated with this too. Especially as undershooting runways is becoming de-rigueur in aviation nowadays. Must be taking lessons from xxx airline, who pride themselves on touching down on the piano keys.

And none of this puts LHR on the surface transport map either. Try catching a train from LHR to Edinburgh. Not very easy, huh? You can catch a surface connection from CDG and you the same from AMS, but you sure cannot do this from LHR. A terrible airport, in a terrible location, with terrible connections, and nowhere to park.

Xtypeman

Stage 1, Open Northolt asap for limited regional flights a percentage of which must be transferred from LHR. Provide a fast coach link with connections to mainline/underground. This would be a temporary situation for a short period whilst......
Northolt is 1700m, which is not long enough for everyday short haul opps. Yes, I know certain Low Standards airlines do use short runways, but taking a -800 or a 321 into 1700m is simply asking for trouble (and would not be possible in low vis opps). And it would severely limit range outbound too.

And expanding Northolt's runway and its usage would give the same problems as LHR. Extra noise, extra danger, local opposition, and a highly constrained airport with no easy runway extension options.

In addition, having to catch a coach is not interlining, which is what LHR should be all about. If I come in from the the Far East with umpteen bags, I want a seamless and simple connection to my local flight to Copenhagen, not an endurance test on a coach.

And if we do not provide that service, then people go elsewhere. On my last trip back from AMS, I met three different groups of UK residents, who were using KLM as their carrier and AMS as their hub. (i.e.: traveling Bristol-->AMS-->Americas, and return likewise.) That is business that the UK has lost, and lost for ever unless we have a decent interlining airport.

Last edited by silverstrata; 18th Jul 2013 at 15:48.