PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2013, 12:31
skkm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gazumped

I don't think you're getting the argument.
It is irrelevant how much fuel they actually have in the tanks if it is still insufficient to get them to another aerodrome. In this case, with 2100kg remaining, no options to go elsewhere and weather closing in, I'd sure as hell start shooting approaches below minima right away to get down in one piece.

I see no benefit in sitting above the ever-thickening murk (which we have no reason to believe will magically disappear before we run out of fuel) burning precious fuel waiting to get into my FR before attempting an approach below minima, leaving me with one shot at getting it right, in possibly significantly worse conditions, when I could have made a few earlier attempts with the option to go around. The QF crew did manage to make it in on the first go, but who's to say that would have been the case if they'd waited until minimum fuel before giving it a crack?

...shooting the approach below minima with 2100kg vs 500kg is significantly LESS DANGEROUS as you have the option to go around and take another shot - at 500 you have nowhere to go but down.

Last edited by skkm; 18th Jul 2013 at 12:33.