PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2013, 11:35
Transition Layer

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
The more I hear and read about this incident, the higher my levels of admiration for the VA crew climbs.
Very well done indeed.

I must agree, standing aside to allow QF first crack due to their reported low fuel state was very sporting indeed.
More so considering they landed with 30 mins above statutory reserves!
If Virgin had not moved out of the way for Qantas, and gone straight in and landed off the first approach, I dare say they would probably have had 2000kgs remaining.
A simple discussion of "how much have you got left in the tanks" would have dictated the natural sequence of who went first. Did that happen, other than non-specific comments between the two about "low fuel"? Same aircraft type so you're comparing apples with apples (give or take a slight variation in burn due ZFW).

I highly doubt ANY QF pilot would have made the VA aircraft wait if they knew exactly how tight they were with fuel (assuming it was less than QF).

The rapidly deteriorating conditions they observed and minimal fuel meant the QF guys thought busting minima first go to be their personal choice as the safest course of action. No one can be critical of that surely.