PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2013, 23:15
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "Once more, Boris has thrown his weight behind a Silver-Boris airport in the Thames Estruary. He now favours the Foster proposal for the Isle of Grain.

BBC News - Airport capacity: Boris Johnson announces three proposals

But if he does , I do hope they re-orientate this airport to the southwest. The last thing London needs, is aircraft on the easterly approach flying over central London. If Silver-Boris has a SW orientation, the approach would be over the reletively open lands of Western Kent.

Silver"

Silver, you have mentioned this NE/SW orientation before, and doubtless you're not alone, but no one's taken it on board.

Maybe because they ain't going on the estuary...... Indeed, there's still a strong possibility of adopting plans A, B and C (do nothing),

Quote: "And now we have a counter-proposal by Heathrow, for one or two new runways (to really blight the area).

BBC News - Heathrow plans 'frightening' reality as third runway proposed

We are approaching a stalemate here, where Heathrow submits increasingly absurd proposals, that will never pass planning consent, while simultaneously ignoring the only proposal that will end the hub-capacity problem for London and the UK (i.e.: a Thames airport)."

Heathrow is hedging its bets, perfectly reasonable given the situation. They know that Silver Island will never be built.

Regretably, Heathrow Airport Limited have only made a case for a third rwy, not a case for a third and a fourth rwy.

A mistake in my opinion, they need to make the case now if they think a fourth rwy is needed in 2040. Get it built, be ahead of the game for once.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 17th Jul 2013 at 23:16.