PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2013, 14:03
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
I am wondering too, if LHR should have been shut for so long. I understand the immediate concerns of supervisors dealing directly with incident(s) but what about the wider operational issues? Are decision makers aware of many operators fuel policy, such as dispensing with alternates? If any diversions involved Pan/Mayday calls, it means that the closure decision generated emergencies in its own right. To have large numbers of aircraft with low fuel states diverting is a serious matter in itself.
Strange as it may seem, most airports have what we, in Army Aviation, called a "Pre-Accident Plan" that carefully scripts the response to emergency situations.
I think an important point in all of this is whether one would prefer that a well thought out and documented plan (that all affected parties understand) be followed or that "common sense" and "everyone knows that" based actions prevail.

Emergencies can pretty much be counted on to have chaos and confusion, having a plan -and- sticking to it is the best way to minimize the risks including responders working at cross purposes.

If problems or ideas for better response are found in a post incident review then the plan can be updated for -next time- with all changes reviewed by affected parties.