PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CITATION XL AT FAB or XLS at CAE UK
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2013, 13:41
Globalstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Maxed Out

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, when I started flying (a C152 could be had for 29 USD/hour), I cannot begin to count the number of times I was promised work once I had...insert blank. Insert multi-engine rating, 400 hours, 1200 hours, jet experience or whatever.

Not a single promise was made good and the disappointing, though extremely profitable, lesson I learned was to hope for the best, but always, always plan for the worst.

Never, ever count on a verbal agreement and by that I mean never make serious personal and financial arrangements like relocating on the sole basis of a promise etc.

This guy has told you to revisit him when you have a type. He may mean well, but unless he`s prepared to make a formal arrangement then you will be taking a foolish gamble with your money and your future. Don`t do it.

I and many others have said it before and I`ll keep saying- self funding is risky and a poor contribution to the profession besides. If it is ever relevant, it is relevant to professional contractors who already have work arrangements and a hard nosed plan for payback and profit and by "professional contractors" I mean guys with thousands of hours, an on going business and work ahead of time.

Go talk to him about a formal agreement and maybe you can cut a deal. If not walk away and sit tight for something serious.

If you do go and you have a say in the matter of training, I`m sorry to report that it seems to be a crapshoot regardless of the vendor. I have mostly used FSI and once you figure out the best centre they seem to be fairly consistent, but my worst experience was also with them.

In all cases, hang tight and good luck.
GS