PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Trident pilot out there?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2013, 10:31
vincenzino montella
l'aeroplanino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you scotbill!
I appreciate a lot your input which reinforces my confidence to my friend exBA-exBEA for this issue: he wasn't pulling my legs...
What I understand is that on that particular type (T3), there was anyway a difference between T.O and LNDG xwind components: none for the landing and 5 knots for take off.
At first sight, I could assume that, being the difference equal to zero for landing, a thrust asymmetry (which doesn't exists on landing, due to the engines @ idle) could play a role on take off.
If the limitatation is higher for a left xwind component (and the nosewheel is left offset) I dare to say that, if the RIGHT engine fails between V1 and Vr, a "normal" right rudder displacement to keep the aircraft centerlined in this xwind situation, combined with the sudden swing to the right, might lead to a momentary substancial unnbalance in lateral control (before modulating the left rudder).
Reducing the allowed xwind component from left, in the above case, the right rudder displacement would be lower so maybe not so initially critical to maintain direction in spite of the swing to the right due to the right engine failure...within the allowed limits, of course...
Should these considerations be near to the truth, it would mean that the "funny geometry" of the three landing gear struts have played a role on this xwind different limitations...
Any comment?

Last edited by vincenzino montella; 17th Jul 2013 at 10:38.