PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This Disgusts Me! - Heathrow emergency: Nine passengers sue
Old 17th Jul 2013, 04:48
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking a different view from some commentators:

You're sitting on the r/h side of the aircraft with your kids, the engine is in full view. First, on take-off, you notice the engine cowling fall away. From the other side of the aircraft, you hear from fellow passengers that the same thing has happened on their side. Then, smoke starts to appear from the engine you are looking at. Next, a fire breaks out and remains there all the way to the ground - despite the deployment of extinguishing systems. After landing, you and your kids are required to exit the aircraft down the slides under full emergency conditions. You were able to see everything. Others at the front and back of the plane had little idea what was going on.
Afterwards, you hear that licensed engineers carrying out maintenance didn't latch the cowling's and this error was also missed on the pre-flight inspection.
On balance, as a 1000 hour GA pilot and a passenger with a few trips under my belt over twenty plus years, I'd be pretty frightened by that experience. Afterwards, I think I'd also be angry that it happened. This incident wasn't caused by an "Act of God" or a bird strike, it was negligence that put people at risk.
That sort of mistake has consequences.